Continuing the discussion from What is “Meta”?:
[quote=”codinghorror, post:4, topic:5249”]
Also @riking if you want to exercise our install and see if that’s true, please do:
I think I will, except I’ll use VirtualBox instead of a cloud server. Just to be different than what you suggested :P.
- Got ubuntu-13-10-server-amd64.iso
- Running install right now [15:44 PST]
- Refusing that silly Ubuntu Landscape™ proposal
On the "Software Selection" screen, I mark only PostgreSQL database.
This is not necessary.
- [15:50 PST] Install is done, I have a user shell.
- The first thing it asks me to do, install linux-image-extra, does nothing but set the image to manually installed. This means I’ll have to manually remove it if by any chance I do several kernel upgrades in the future and want to clean out old crap.
gpg: "36A1D786925C890F966E92D857A8BA88D21E9 is not a key ID: skippingwell that’s wonderful, I mean, I went to all the trouble of typing it in.
- Aha, if I add the repository to my sources and update,
apt-getgives me the correct key ID:
because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY D8576A8BA88D21E9(which happens to be the ending part of that long hex string). Running the key fetch-and-add with that shorter hex string (D8576A8BA88D21E9) works right away.
- Done installing Docker, it’s [16:01 PST].
Getting the Discourse docker image
- As root,
adduser kane docker, and
install -g docker -m 2775 -d /var/docker.
- Start following the Getting Started section
- Git clone fails - git isn’t installed! Heh.
- Hmm, it’s getting permission denied - I’ll just switch into root instead of relying on groups.
- I guess I’ll just put fake info in for the hostname stuff. I do own riking.org, but cba to set it up right now
The ssh_key is important. It’s in the format of the
~/.ssh/id_rsa.pubfile. Surround it in quotes. Example
>ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQDSnKNsGL1muizhZ/QN/2xNkIvoeG3AkeWz/0SV/AaVKxnsMvbTHIJXe2vle6lSU/6YRRr/BCsCIrZb4qk0/vlx/p5pJmqhT7Wp8XIYnmBGO5B38PT2aycKoHIWT3Os9ExmyrFfClOrjfcUxzE1pF43myqDD0B7SpmzBWcMLDpl5D2pza4EmsOgF6eB0OGDmM9gBA9wswHa9At2337heZAN/bVRZ49YpAG02gTuQuVdb00ioQpv6rAZUsANiQh0XycqHvE0RBvGlwjfLHGe9GYYPrKLeFPLeKreERbfWnM5PAmexLG0I09WvyY3ChN0X9y6KH5Q1b+vWAMwIV9dyuRZ root@ubuntu
- [16:12 PST] Starting
./launcher bootstrap app
- [16:22 PST] Bootstrap done, (note that it took 10 minutes)
./launcher start appsucceeds, a little port forwarding setting in VirtualBox, and:
# Success! :smile: